The Sarah Plumb Frederick Memorial Scholarship has been established by DCHIMA for the purpose of assisting students with financial need who maintain high academic standards, and who would otherwise be unable to meet requirements for tuition, textbooks, etc to further their education.
To award one scholarship in amount of $500.00 to an eligible health information management student. Applicants must be members of DCHIMA in good standing and meet other eligibility criteria as specified in the application.
- Applicant must have completed at least one semester in an AHIMA/CAHIIM-approved HIM/HIT program, and be entering his/her final year of studies in the HIM/HIT program.
- Applicant must be a student member or active member in good standing with AHIMA.
- Applicant must be a student member or active member of DCHIMA.
- Applicant must have a minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete the scholarship application form
- Submit the Statement of Certification with Application
- Submit an official school transcript. A written confirmation of grades signed by the Program Director is acceptable.
- Submit a letter of recommendation for the scholarship from an instructor or faculty member.
- Include a brief description of the reason this scholarship is being requested. Include pertinent information concerning your goals, professional aspirations and other qualifications for this award.
The scholarship recipient will be selected by the DCHIMA board. The award will be based on the applicant’s grade point average, statement of need, and recommendations. DCHIMA reserves the right to verify all information submitted by the applicant.
The $500.00 scholarship will be presented to the recipient at the DCHIMA Annual Meeting. Payment of the award, in the name of the student, will be sent directly to the student’s educational program for disbursement. DCHIMA shall provide registration fee and lunch for the recipient for the day of the meeting at which the presentation is to be made.
Notification of the scholarship award shall be shall be on the DCHIMA website following the presentation.
Relinquishment of Award:
If, for any reason, the recipient does not continue in Health Information Management educational program, the award shall be relinquished, and the monies shall remain with the educational program.
The 2018 scholarship application will be available in March 2018
* We also encourage students to visit AHIMA Foundation website for additional scholarship opportunities.